Selwyn pushes back opening by a year

Plans to reopen Selwyn ski resort in July have had to be shelved until next ski season.

Selwyn has delayed the opening of its ski resort for another year, due to snow impacting on the rebuild from the devastating 2019-20 bushfires. 

The principal contractor of the project has advised that due to recent heavy snowfalls the project won’t be completed by the July 2 scheduled opening of the facility. The operators said a set of challenging circumstances had delayed the rebuild. 

Record breaking rainfalls across November and December caused challenges to civil and ground work. There were also material supply shortages and delays in supply chains. The state-wide COVID lockdowns last year and challenging early season conditions of over 100cm of snowfall in seven days were further hurdles. 

Selwyn’s general manager Angela Murdoch said rebuilding Selwyn Snow Resort remains a top priority and teams and contractors will continue to work hard to complete the project. 

“If we can get through something as devastating as the bushfires destroying our beloved Selwyn, we can stand through all trials,” she said. 

“Thank you to the incredibly hard-working teams continuing to rebuild Selwyn and to our tight-knit community who continues to band together. 

“After exploring all options and deciding that it’s not possible to open this season, I look forward to welcoming our guests back to enjoy Selwyn in 2023, knowing the hard work, sweat and tears we have poured into rebuilding.” 

Nichole Overall MP, member for Monaro, said it was a disappointing but understandable decision.

“Given these incredible efforts, it makes the decision not to be able to open at this time – brought on by the very thing we’ve been wishing for, record snow – even more heart-breaking, for the operators, everyone on site and the visiting public as well,” she said. 

“In saying that, I know things will continue to go from strength-to-strength and when Selwyn Snow Resort opens, it will offer some of the most spectacular advancements and attractions in the country that will make it worth the wait.” 

Ms Murdoch said Selwyn understood the announcement will impact guests in different ways. 

“All guests who have purchased products from Selwyn Snow Resort will be refunded in full in the coming weeks,” she said. 

“We know that this is devastating news for our guests, employees and local communities, and want you to know that we share this sadness with you and look forward to a fresh start in 2023.”

Previous articleMoonlite display at home in old gaol
Next articleGraham wins medley stableford

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here